Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tell Me Tuesdays, Chapter 6


I am a BUNKO player or BUNCO player depending on what part of the country you are from.




You know, it’s one of those toe-MAY-toe, toe-MAA-toe sort of things.

But, hey, no matter how you spell it, it’s lots of fun.

Yessireebob!

If you are not familiar with the game, quite simply it’s a dice game. Well, actually it is really a social event (for ladies only) and yes, it does include a game of chance, hence the dice.

It’s also a night to forget about dieting, stress, work, or anything else that would take your mind away from the fun of it all.

As one Bunko/Bunco player described in an article I read somewhere online…

“Imagine this. You drive up to a well-lighted home, climb out and enter. It smells of delicious food. Friends you've known for years and some you've just met welcome you warmly, hand you a soft drink and the free-flow of conversation begins.”


I can’t think of a better scenario, can you? Okay, well maybe if it involved lots and lots of chocolate and George Clooney perhaps…LOL!

Anyway, I’m not going to get into the details of how you play the game because from what I have heard, $17 million women play nationwide, so you can just imagine all of the different variations there are on the game…from dressing up in costumes to combining it with a beach get-away. It’s even played to raise money for charity too.

In all honestly, it’s more about the camaraderie than it is the game and how you play it or at least that’s the case for me. In fact, it’s one of those commitments I very seldom miss. ‘Cause you know, being the multi-tasker that I am, I can talk, eat M&Ms and roll the dice all at the same time.

We have a core group of twelve who play the first Monday of every month and leave husbands and children to fend for themselves that evening while we get-together to have a great time and hopefully go home with some extra moola in our pockets.

Some may call this a gambling, I say we are just paying for the privilege of enjoying good food and good fellowship with good people. Well, at least that excuse works for me…LOL! ;0)

Do you Bunko/Bunco? If so, why do you love it?

It’s Tell Me Tuesdays, so please share a comment.

1 comment:

COUNTRY MOM said...

Tracey, I do not play, but would love to hear how to play. It sounds fun.