Monday, June 25, 2012

"P" Is For Potty


I briefly mentioned in this post that Colton had moved up to a new Toddler class at his daycare and they are beginning potty training.

Truth be told, there are some in his class that have the whole going-to-the-potty thing nailed, but they are a few months older than Colton too.

Honestly, I don’t know if I am ready for potty training yet…LOL!   

I mean, he only turned two on the 5th of this month.

One milestone at a time please ;0)

No, seriously though, I am glad that he’s got a teacher that is so gung-ho about the whole potty training process.

From my experience with R.J., I know that if you’ve got a teacher who’s willing to instill the potty training basics and encourage your child every day, combined with a parent/parents following up and reinforcing it all at home, it usually winds up being the golden ticket to potty-dom!

With Colton though, so far potty success (as far as actual  pee in the bowl) has been an accomplishment he has chosen to share only with his beloved Mrs. Bailey at daycare.

At home, it usually goes something like this:

Colton (grinning as he’s saying it): “Momma, tee-tee.”

Me (with excitement): “C’mon, Colton, let’s go to the potty, okay?!”

Colton (with even more excitement):  “OH-kay!” (He loves to say that word back to you when you say it)

And onto the bathroom we proceed, take off his bottoms, grab the kid-sized toilet seat, put the step stool in front of the base of the toilet (on which he proudly climbs up), and then he plops down, gets himself into proper seating position (even takes his sweet little finger and places it on his you know what so it points down into the commode), and…

N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

Unless you count the microscopic strands he manages to pull off of a single sheet of toilet paper, creatively massage in his little hands, and then drop into the bowl as something.

Otherwise, it’s nothing.

Well, I guess that’s not really true because we do get some precious smiles and “so very proud of himself” expressions that are just priceless.

See…




And, yes, we still do encouraging and praising for him being a big boy by getting on the potty and trying to go "tee-tee", etc., but thus far to no avail.

Am I worried about it? No.

Am I stressed about it? No.
(I've got plenty of other things to be stressing about...like my cellulite for example...)

Am I still willing to play the potty game with him for every one of his “tee-tee” requests? Yes.

However, the next time I think I’m going to grab me a good book on the trek to the bathroom (I would grab some "reward" m&m’s, but I’d wind up eating them all instead).

At least this way, no matter how long it may take him to actually produce something in the toilet, I can just sit back, relax, let him do his toilet paper origami and all will be right with the world as far as I’m concerned.

When he’s ready, he’ll be really ready, and in the meantime I may be able to catch up on some of the reading I’ve been meaning to do…LOL!

No comments: