Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day Down, 179 More To Go!

WOW! What a difference a year makes!

I am happy to report that there were no signs of first day of school jitters at all this morning. Well, none for R.J. that is...LOL!


In fact, he was all smiles:



So there you go. My son, the first grader. And it seems like only yesterday they were bringing him to me in my hospital bed for me to hold for the first time. My, oh, my how time flies!

Can't wait to hear how his first day went. However, knowing my son, it will be something like this...



Me: "So, what did you do in school today?"


R.J.: "Well, Mom, we ran laps and played tag in P.E., and I had chocolate milk, green beans and salisbury steak for lunch. Oh, and I had an ice cream sandwich too. And, I made some new friends. One named Sam and one named Jonah."


Me: "Okay, son that's great, but what did you do in class?


R.J.: "Hmmm, I really can't remember?"


Seriously, my son can recite entire dialogue scenes from Disney movies, sing verbatim the words to the Sponge Bob Square Pants cartoon song, list every ounce of food he eats for lunch and every activity he does in P.E. class, but for some reason, what he actually does related to classwork escapes him...LOL!


I've learned not to stress over this seemingly brief bout of amnesia he tends to have on a daily basis because thankfully his report cards and test results have shown me that yes, he really is doing work in class, and he's doing it very well.


Now, I just need to figure out how serving pizza, corn nuggets, and french fries on Friday meets the requirements of the five food groups!

1 comment:

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Hi, I used to be a paraprofessional in first grade for 15 years. I love first graders! Seeing your son brings back happy memories. I always wondered about those school lunches, too! Blessings, Kathy