Friday, July 10, 2009

B is for blockage

There's alot to be said for a woman's intuition. Sure, you hear people joke about it all the time, but it's usually men who are telling the jokes about this "myth"...LOL! Let's just say that for me my intuition (at least when it comes to my body) is usually dead on. Those of you familiar with the ups and downs of trying to conceive will probably understand what I am about to say. I "know" when I am pregnant, and I "know" when I am not. Michael used to ask me, "How do you know?" And I would just respond, "I just do."

Well, what does all of that have to do with today? Well, after IUI number 4 (after the second miscarriage) and me not getting pregnant, I just had this nagging feeling that something wasn't right. And truth be told, that's why we made the appointment to talk to my doctor a week ago. Even though my doc told me that he didn't think I had a tubal issue again, I did (however, I didn't come out and admit it at that time). Well, guess what???

Yup, that woman's intuition "myth" was right on. We've got a blockage...same tube place, same tube channel (just a little 70s Batman TV show humor there for ya'). Honestly, I think my doctor was totally shocked to see that there was a blockage. Me, well, due to the gut splitting pain and after almost biting off the hand of the x-ray tech standing next to me during the procedure, I was not surprised. After all, woman's intuition, right?

The last time we had this diagnosis, I cried. Today, well, I guess you could say that in some small way I was relieved. Sounds silly I know, but at least I had an inkling as to why I was having issues getting pregnant again. You see, ironically, it is my left tube that is blocked and it is my left ovary that is the dominant producer of egg follicles. Good egg follicles + bad tube = no pregnancy (or at least that's the case for me). If I had to break the last 18 months of TTC down, it's not that I don't get pregnant (once tubal issues are gone), it's that I am apparently having trouble sustaining the pregnancies (but, I won't even attempt to get into that issue right now).


What's next? Looks like I'll be getting that
wire in the tube thing done again that I mentioned in an earlier post. If you click on the link in the previous sentence, you'll see that the wire procedure is really called a tubal recanalization, and for me it worked. Hopefully, we'll have the same success again. You know what? I am actually not dreading having it done either. Why? Because 1. They will give me a LOV-E-LY med to sedate me, and 2. The radiologist who will be performing the procedure is drop dead gorgeous. Okay, while I know that most people would not care what in the world the person looks like who's going to be down there diggin' in your whooha, I just figure that if I can't be looking at my husband and son before I drift off to la-la land, at least I'll be looking at someone appealing (and to my knowledge, Jon Bon Jovi is not available or qualified to perform the procedure) LOL!

So that's where we are folks. Sometime next week, I should be getting a call about when the recanalization is going to be scheduled (more than likely it will be in early August). In the meantime, today my doctor said after the HSG that we still had the okay to go ahead and try on our own this month because, "you just never know." Hmmmm, sounds to me like he privately talked to my husband before the HSG! ;0



2 comments:

Kami said...

Yes!!! You have an answer! That is awesome! Not awesome that it requires a procedure though. I am so sorry. But I am also very glad something will be done and you can get this show on the road! It's time for sweet Tracey to be blessed with her second beautiful baby. Your little guy is absoltuely adorable!

Love you,
Kami

Amy said...

I agree with Kami... It stinks that you have to go through this but I'm glad we've got some answers.. Hope you have a great weekend... xoxo