Saturday, July 11, 2009

Of pills and meds




It’s funny, in my "Oh-so" carefree twenties, I used to scoff at the idea of taking the
recommended one vitamin per day. Mind you now, I did not
EV-ER forget to take my birth control pill back in the day, but since I kept those in my make-up drawer I really considered those more like a funky eye shadow rather than a med…LOL! Fast forward to twenty years later, and I am thrilled that my doctor said, "Tracey, I want you to take a break from the meds this month and give your body a break." What you say??? A break? Yahoo! Well, just take a look at my break. Count em’. Yup, that’s still nine pills left over. Nine pills everyday on a meds break and I am still ecstatic over that…go figure? Mind you, I know my measly caplets do not even come close to the pharmaceutical plethora of pills and shots that one takes when going through invitro fertilization (IVF), but to me, just the fact that I didn’t have to add the additional 15 more pills of Clomid and an hCG shot this month had me on cloud 9! It’s amazing what makes your day when you are trying to conceive.


Speaking of that, if you read About Me, you know I have a precious 6 ½ year old son, R.J. Let me just say that the Lord could not have given me a more wonderful child. He is smart and outgoing and a total boy through and through. And, he is also an ONLY child. Only children often will talk to anything that is animate (or inanimate for that matter) whenever the chance arises. With my son, it matters not whether the animate object is adult or child. He will usually just strike up a friendly conversation (all the while never straying far from his mommy or daddy’s presence). Case in point. Last night, my hubby decided to take me to dinner to get my mind off of the day’s medical proceedings. I was feeling up to it and so off to Outback we went. Dinner was enjoyable, but when we got back into the car, my son asked his daddy if we could go and get ice cream. We did.


We pulled into the parking lot of our local Bruster’s ice cream place and hopped out. We got in line and out of the corner of my eye I saw this HUGE black thing scurrying at a cheetah's pace and almost crawl up my son’s croc. R.J. saw it too and (like a boy) followed it to the edge of the sidewalk and tried to smush it with said croc. As this was happening, a lady in front of me in line said, "What in the world was that?" To which I replied, "Oh, it’s just a roach." She then said, "You all have the biggest bugs I’ve ever seen." And I said, "You must not be from here." Being that we have a really large influx of military families in the area, I figured she had just been transferred to our town. Her husband, who was standing not too far from us, said they had just moved from California and had only been here for 3 weeks. Well, one thing led to another, we all got our ice cream and sat down to chit chat about this and that and the other. R.J. had already zoomed in on the fact that they had four children, two of which were twin boys. He couldn’t help himself and asked the lady if they were twins and she said, "Yes". My son then replies, "Daddy says he wants twins, but mommy isn’t sure. She really just wants a healthy baby since she was pregnick two times last year, but the babies died." Er um, okay son, that’s a bit TMI to share with a total stranger in the parking lot of an ice cream place. Thankfully, the lady was as sweet as she could be, and after R.J.’s divulgence to her, he started hitting it off conversationally with their 4th grader instead.


The world of trying to conceive is a small one as I’ve come to find out. After my son spilled the beans on my miscarriages, the lady said that she too had suffered a miscarriage and her twin sons were conceived on Clomid. Of course, that opened up a whole ‘nother conversation between me and her. As we got ready to leave (and had to pry R.J. away from the clan of many children), I could hear my son saying to the kids…"PUH-LEASE, have your Mom call my Mom so we can get together and play Wii sometime." Which in my mind translated to…"Oh, and I’ll tell you all about my mommy’s gallbladder surgery that she had in the 90s!"


Having an ONLY child, sometimes you just gotta’ love it!

No comments: