Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hi, Y'all!


Although I live in Alabama, I did not grow up as a southern girl. And, as I have been told on numerous occasions, "You will never be considered a true southerner because you weren't born and raised here."

So, I guess the fact that I have lived here since the early 80's (and my parents and brother have since moved here too) doesn't equate to being southern born and southern bred. That's okay, I can accept that fact (and I have). Perhaps if my name was Scarlett O'hara I might have been cut some slack...LOL!

I suppose that if I still lived in New Jersey, I wouldn't ever be able to get my mind around calling anyone from Alabama a northerner either - - even if they had lived in the Garden State for over 20 years and named their son Franco, Jr.

Don't get me wrong, although I miss certain things about being up north (like pizza and bagels and delis and boardwalks), I really do love living in the south and I am thrilled to be raising my child here.

I love the fact that it's okay to talk about the Lord with your co-workers and they don't look at you as if you were crazy. I love the fact that being active in a church youth group is cool. I love the fact that children say, "Yes, m'am and No, m'am and Yes, sir and No, sir." I love the fact that the girl in the check-out line smiles at me and always says, "Hi, how are you doing today?" I love the fact that if you like country music that's okay (and almost expected...LOL!). Truth be told, I love a whole lot of things about the south and that is why I chose to remain here.


In the 25 years I have lived in what's called the Heart of Dixie, I have also come to realize that there are some very unique ways to say things and/or express yourself. Case in point.


After having left my only home and family at the Jersey Shore, and being in Alabama for only a week, I went to the local grocery store to pick up a few items for my dorm room refrigerator. The lady walking ahead of me turned around and politely asked me if I wanted a "buggy"? You can imagine the stunned and confused look on my face when I said, "Excuse me?" Heck, I thought she was talking about the thing that's attached to a horse...no wonder I was confused! I still laugh about that today.


Actually, I still chuckle about many of the unique words/statements I hear around me every single day. For instance, people:


1. Mash buttons. I push buttons (I do, however, mash potatoes).


2. Carry you places (which I am sure can get very tiring...LOL!). I drive people to their destinations.


3. Get sick on their stomach. I get sick to or in my stomach.


4. Bar-rey something from someone. I borrow it.


5. Order a coke and then specify what flavor, i.e. Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc. Wait, I thought that by law, coke was only that brown stuff in a red can?


6. Say yella and winda. I say yellow and window.


7. Get bowed up on someone. I get mad at them.


These are just a few of the southernisms that I have grown accustomed to and find endearing about the place in which I live and the place I now call home (even if I am still considered one of them Yankees).


My son, well, this morning he told me that he was fixin' to wash the car with his grandfather...so I guess he's a true southern boy after all...LOL!

3 comments:

Ali Garrett said...

And some places in the south, small towns like my dear Clanton, say even funnier things. For example, during my first week practicing here (or anywhere for that matter), someone told me she couldn't even pay her "lat beeul"...I had her repeat herself several times, until she finally pointed at the lights and said it again. She was saying "light bill"...I call it a power bill.

Tracey said...

Ali, I am dying over here! ;0)

Kristi said...

LOL Tracey. I have lived in NY for 15 years and am still not considered a Yankee by anyone other than my parents! Everynow and then I do let out a Southernism and people around her laugh. For example, I do "carry" the boys to school (in the car of course), every tissue is a Kleenex to me, I put my groceries "up" not away, and I don't like "greazy" chicken, meat, fries whatever. I still say M'am and Sir even though people look at me funny, and I say pardon if someone calls my name. Saying "what" is rude and the worst thing you can say about a Southerner is that they are rude.

I love it up here and wouldn't move back unless necessary, but I still keep a bit of my Southern roots active and alive.

Luv Ya darlin'

Kristi