Monday, September 14, 2009

You Asked


I asked you all a few days ago if you had any questions you wanted to ask me...and you did. Here they are!

1. Do you work? If so, what do you do (generally)?

Yes, I do work…full-time. I am in governmental relations TRANSLATE: I am a lobbyist. No, no, no, I’m not one of those slimy, high-powered, multi-million dollar making kind of lobbyists. I work for a state agency and represent our interests at the state legislature. It is very exciting work…never boring, although when the legislature is in session the hours can be really long and that makes the job very tiring. All in all, I’ve been in the governmental relations field for 17 years now.

2. Did you go college?

Yes. My undergraduate degree is a B.A. in Communications, and I also have a Juris Doctorate degree in law (although I am not a practicing attorney).

3. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I would love to go to Europe…Italy for sure. My maiden name is Italian and I have always wanted to see the sights in that beautiful country.

4. If you could live anywhere you wanted, where would it be?

Honestly, I am really happy where I am living (Alabama) because my immediate family is really nearby and that is great. I just wish that my aunt and uncle (who I am really close to) lived close to me as well. They are still in New Jersey (where I grew up), and I only get to see them maybe once or twice a year.

I also like the fact that living in the south, everyone is so open about loving the Lord and faith is a huge part of everyday life here. It wasn’t like that up north where I grew up. People were not as open and free-talking about their faith. My family was, but as a whole, people were not.

5. How did you meet your hubby?

This is an interesting story. I met him on-line…sort of. The mom of one of my close friends was a kindergarten teacher at our local Air Force base. One of her students was also celebrating her 5th birthday and my husband (although not yet) and his mom had come down from Tennessee and Georgia to visit their niece/granddaughter that weekend to celebrate and it just so happened that since they got into town a little early that day, they dropped by the school.

Later that same day, I got a call from my friend and she left me a message that said, “Tracey, my Mom just called me and is convinced that this guy who came to visit his niece today would be perfect for you. In fact, she told him that she knew a great girl for him, and then she told me to call you right away to see if you would be interested. I made her swear to me that he didn’t look like a troll and she promised he did not. Oh, and do you have an e-mail address?”

I called my friend back and we discussed the scenario and given the fact that I had some doozey blind dates in my life, I was really a bit leery of this whole situation. I told her that I did have an e-mail address, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to give it to a total stranger. My friend said, “Tracey, you know my mom and she just does not get involved in stuff like this so if she thinks he’s a good guy for you than he must be. Besides, if he turns out to be some psycho nut, just change your e-mail address.”

I gave my friend my e-mail address and she gave it to her mom who then gave it to Michael (on a little green frog post-it note that he still carries in his wallet…LOL!). I really didn’t give much thought to any of it after that.

About a month later, lo’ and behold I had an e-mail in my inbox from him.

We corresponded back and forth via e-mail for about a month. We finally exchanged pictures, and thank my lucky stars he was not a troll…LOL! He called me one night shortly thereafter and we talked for 4 ½ hours straight. We made plans for him to come (he was living in Georgia at the time) down one Friday night and meet me to go to dinner at a friend’s house (I figured I was safe if I had others around me…LOL!). He did, we hit it off, dated from then on, and we were married a year later.

I always liked the fact that I got to know my husband from the inside out first. You know…it wasn’t based on outward appearances, but rather what we were learning inwardly through our words to each other.

6. Do you have any pets?

No, not a the moment. Both Michael and I each had a dog when we met/got married. I had a miniature schnauzer, named Abbey and he had a mixed breed he got as a stray, named Spencer. My sweet Abbey got cancer and died two months before I found out I was pregnant, and dear Spencer died unexpectedly from anemia about 7 months later. Since we were expecting a baby, we didn’t get another pet at that time, but now that R.J. is getting older, we plan to get a dog so he can have a four-legged companion to love as well.

7. Do you collect anything?

I used to collect Precious Moments figurines and I have more than 50 of them in a lighted curio cabinet in my dining room. I haven’t purchased/received on in years though.

8. What is your hobby?

Scrapbooking. I just wish that I had more time to do so. I do go to a workshop once a month where I can spread out all my stuff and work on my books for a few hours at a time. I find it to be very relaxing and I love that I am creating such keepsakes for my family.

9. Did you always know (even as a child) that you wanted to be a wife and mother?

Yes, yes, yes. As I got older and it seemed as if my life was taking longer to achieve those two things, I must admit that I would get worried sometimes, but I always believed that the Lord would help to fulfill my wish to be both…and he did.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I didn't ask any of the questions, but I sure loved reading them! Its funny about the Precious Moments figurines, I just found my very first one that weekend I was cleaning out the garage. Also, hubby and I sort of met online too! LOL! How cool! Thanks for posting that! I had fun learning more about my girl Tracey. :)

~Kristen