Tuesday, October 19, 2010

First Timers

This past week/weekend I captured some firsts for both of my boys.

R.J. went to the eye doctor and we discovered he needed glasses. Actually, we knew that eventually he would need glasses since poor eyesight runs on my husband’s side of the family, but we just didn’t think the need was going to show up so soon.

Nevertheless, we took R.J. to the optical shop and let him pick out his own frames. Of course, he absolutely loved the ones that looked like Harry Potter glasses.

So, without much further adieu, I give you Harry er, um, I mean, R.J. Potter!


RJ glasses 1

RJ Glasses 2

I think he looks adorable in them, but then again, I’m his mom, so he’d look adorable to me even if he has green hair and big ears…lol!

At first he was acting sort of leery about wanting to wear them at school because he was afraid that his classmates would tease him. So, to help ease his apprehensiveness, I ordered him some books off Amazon.com that dealt specifically with kids having to wear glasses.

These are the three books I found…


Wear Glasses

Luna

Randy Kazandy

The books were great because each one of them dealt with a different aspect of a child having to get/wearing glasses.

R.J.’s favorite book was, Why Do I Have To Wear Glasses? It was about a young boy named Freddy who was struggling to see things clearly and he finds out that although glasses help solve this problem, they also make him uncomfortable at school. His classmates don’t want to let him play football with them anymore because he has to wear glasses. However, a surprise visit from the hometown hero, Touchdown Joe, puts everything into perspective when he shows up to talk to the school wearing…you guessed it – GLASSES!

Needless to say, all you have to do is mention football and my son is absolutely, totally Gung-ho!

Mention football AND having to wear glasses at school and it’s a done deal!


COLTON had a first too!

When we took him for his 4 month check up earlier this month, the doctor said we could start to introduce/play around with trying some cereal. We tried giving it to R.J. at 5 months, but he absolutely was not interested at all. Anyway, given the fact that so far (just like everyone told me), my second child is nothing like my first I thought, "What the heck, let's give it a try!


I Know Those Are My Mommy’s Fingers, But What’s That Other Thing?
I know those are my mommy's fingers, but what's this other thing?

Here We Go…
Here we go...

I Think I Might Be Liking This!
I think I might be liking this

No, Seriously…This Could Be A Whole Lotta' Fun!
Hey, this might be fun

Then Again, I’m Not Really Sure What I Think?
Not sure what I think about this stuff?

On Second Thought, Maybe It’s Not So Bad After All!
Maybe it's not so bad after all

Hrumph?
Hrumph?

Are You Looking At Me?
Are you looking at me?

I See You…
Are you giving me more?

Look Mommy, Almost Gone!
Look Mommy, almost gone.

Really, There’s More???
There's more?

So What’s Wrong With A Little Rice Drool?
So what's wrong with a little drool?

Bleck!
Bleck!

Forget This Stuff!
Forget this stuff!

Mommy, I’m Not Kidding…Forget This Stuff!
Hey, Mommy, I said forget this stuff!

How Do I Get This Off My Tongue?
No, really, how do I get this stuff off my tongue?

What? You Want Me To Smile?
But, I’m Still Dealing With This Weird Taste In My Mouth!

You want me to smile? I'm still dealing with the taste of this stuff in my mouth

Yes, Yes, Yes, Of Course I Love You Mommy!
I love you too Mommy!

Here, Gimmee That Thing!
Here, gimmee that thing Mommy!

Maybe It Will Taste Better If I Do It?
Let me try this

Open Mouth, Insert Spoon.
Message To Hand: I Said, INSERT Spoon!
So That's Where the Spoon Goes?

Know What? I Like The Way My Fingers Taste Much Better!
I like the way my fingers taste much better

All Done Mommy, I’m Stickin’ With The Hand!
All Done Mommy, I'm sticking with the hand!


I hope you enjoyed these pictures as much as I enjoyed watching my son and his reactions.

The jury is still out on whether or not I’ll be giving him anymore cereal this month. Formula still seems to be satisfying him and he’s sleeping at least 6 ½ to 7 hours each night, so I might just hold off on solids for a few more weeks.

Don’t worry, I can assure you there will be many more pictures to come of this little boy and his “firsts”.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

First and foremost, RJ looks MAHVELOUS!!! What a handsome little man. Love the frames!

And Colton? How funny are they when they first get cereal? Patrick loved it and chowed down from the first bite on. Jack looked at me like I was trying to poison him. By the third day he was eating more than his brother! LOL

You have very beautiful...OOOPS!... handsome boys!

Give them hugs and kisses from Auntie Kristi in NY!

Tracey said...

Kristi...thanks my love, and "beautiful" is quite alright with me!

Hugs and kisses will be delivered this evening!

(:-)

Sherry M. said...

Tracey,

Wow, how Colton has grown AND RJ is definitely "The Man" with his new spectacles. Your pics brought back so many pleasant memories. Mine are almost fully growed now:-)That's not so bad either by the way LOL!. Enjoy every moment!!! God Bless you and your Family. Love, Sherry

Anonymous said...

How cute are they both!!! R.J. is very athletic looking in those glasses."Check out the Rec-Specs" for future ballgames :).

Between your pictures of Colton and the captions, I was rolling with laughter! Those were the days! Enjoy every minute!!
Meg

Nea said...

Love the pics. I enjoy them it was so cute.

Lorrie S said...

Hi RJ!! You are absolutely handsome my little guy! xx Very BIG brother like ;-)

Colton, dear Lord. Can you be any cutie honey?? hehe. You crack me up with your precious facial reactions. Don't worry, the food will get alot yummier as times goes on!! :D

Your Aunt Lorrie loves you boys xox