Friday, February 4, 2011

What I've Learned

From parenting my 8 year old son, I have learned (seriously darling hubby, I really have learned) that my children's collection of play things does not need to resemble three six complete toy aisles at Toys-R-Us.

And, if you could just take a look into our play room (which at the moment is solely filled with R.J.’s toys) you would know EX-ACT-LY what I am talking about.

Okay, I must admit that I certainly did not take back or refuse any of the toys that Colton got at the baby shower or the few things Santa brought him this Christmas, but I most definitely have NOT added to his toy stash with every trip I make to Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.

Can’t say the same with regard to my oldest son, but Hey, chalk that up to guilt purchases.

You see, my husband was on active military duty from the time R.J. was 18 months old until he turned 5½ and I guess I was trying to compensate for Michael not being here on a daily basis by filling that void for R.J. with “stuff”.

All kinds of stuff...electronic doo-dad stuff, soft plushy stuff, multi-piece put together stuff, DVD stuff, coloring stuff, reading stuff, game stuff, etc.

You get the picture, right?!

Anyway, fast forward to son number #2 and well, as you can see below…why buy toys when a child can happily entertain himself for 30 minutes simply by gnawing on a plastic measuring cup?!

I mean c’mon, is there really as much joy (and runny snot and drool) with a Toy Story flashing light thingy?

I think not!






Oh, and there’s one more something I need to mention (if you haven't already figured it out)...guess who is sitting up all by his sweet little self now?!!!



Atta' boy!

Come to think of it...that's a really big accomplishment.

Hmmmm, mommy thinks it may possibly even deserve some sort of toy reward?

Nah, just kidding!!

I've got an entire Tupperware cabinet that's his for the taking...lids and all!

2 comments:

Lisa Woodard said...

He is growing sooooooooo fast!

Lorrie S said...

Tracey OMW!!! He's such a big boy! Well not really 'big' boy (let him stay young forever). He's sitting up on his own and what a cutie!! My word. Look at those cheeks! God I wish we lived closer :/

He is a doll! Oh and as for the toys....I'm just or was just as guilty with Raegan. My house/crawl space is filled with them and she don't even live with me!!! I can only imagine when I have my own!

Tupperware are the best toys!!! hehe

Love ya!

Lorrie