Monday, October 25, 2010

Leaky Diapers...no more!


Leaky Diapers, Leaky Diapers

On my son, on my son

I pay a lot of money

To keep my baby comfy

And dry from pee, and dry from pee



Okay, so I am not sure if any of you are having this problem, but if you are, there IS a solution.

WARNING: This solution may seem very odd/non-practical to some of you.

First of all, let me just say that my almost 5 month-old is a tummy sleeper. No flamers please, my son refuses to stay asleep on his back and since this mommy likes to get some sleep too, tummy sleep it is for this babe o' mine.

Anyway, until recently, I did not have a problem with Colton's diapers leaking in front when he slept, but now that he has learned to scrunch up his little butt and stick it in the air when he sleeps, he sometimes winds up making a gap where the diaper band is and thus we have awakened to a soaked baby and a soaked crib mattress sheet on many a morning.

Try overnight diapers you say.

But guess what?

They don’t make strictly overnight diapers in a Size 2 and the next size up (Size 3) diapers are huge on him.

Currently, I am using Pampers Baby Dry* diapers and they really do live up to their claim about extra absorbency (especially for nighttime), but that still did not solve the baby butt in the air diaper band gap that Colton seemed to be so adept in creating every night.

And with baby boys, we know what their directional aim is...up!

What to do?

Well, be creative of course.

Here’s what I did and it works like a charm…no more leaky nighttime (or nap) diapers.

What you will need:

Whatever brand/size regular diaper you choose. For demonstration, I am using Baby Dry Diapers, Size 2

Pampers Baby Dry

My Camera Photos 742

Whatever brand sanitary pad (without wings) you choose. For demonstration, I am using Kotex Regular Maxi pads

Kotex

My Camera Photos 743

First, open up the diaper with the securing tabs on top

My Camera Photos 745

Next, open up the maxi pad

My Camera Photos 744

Then, remove the paper that is covering the sticky strip on the maxi pad. Take the pad and “stick it” to the front portion of the diaper so that the edges of the diaper and the maxi pad line up

My Camera Photos 746

After doing so, when you flip the diaper “back to normal” the maxi pad should not be visible above the top edge of the diaper

My Camera Photos 747

Finally, put diaper on baby as usual and viola’ leak proof and ready for nap or nighty-night

My Camera Photos 749

Like I said, this may seem like a very odd/non-practical solution to some of you, but I have been doing this now for about a week with Colton and we are not having anymore frontal leaky mishaps at night (or at nap time).

If you have a little girl and are running into the same leakage/not absorbent enough problem at nighttime (or naps), just place the maxi pad inside the diaper vertically rather than horizontally as shown in this demonstration...should work like a charm.

If any of you feel like trying this “solution” out, please let me know how it goes for you and your little one. If it works for you too, then by all means, pass along the good news.

In the meantime, Happy Diapering!

Oh, and I bet you are still humming the tune to Frere Jacques in your head, aren’t you?! LOL!


P.S. They do have a disposable diaper inserts, but at $7.50 (plus shipping) for 25 pads, your average sanitary pad is much less expensive and you can buy twice as many for what they want for one package of inserts.

*These are different than the Pampers with Dry Max

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I did that with the twins when they would pee out of their diapers! If you belong to Costco or BJ's or some other warehouse club you can get the pads for next to nothing! BTW the ultra thin pads DO NOT WORK! LOL At least they didn't back then.

Shannon said...

Brilliant Tracey! Great idea! I'll keep that in mind if we have a leak problem!

Melody said...

That is a FAN-Freakin-Tastic idea! We are trying again and even our 2 year old (almost 3) who just doesn't think that potty training is for her every day, leaks at night, I am SO going to try this!