Monday, February 22, 2010

I Failed


Okay, I'm a dunce.

I went for my 1 hour
Glucose Tolerance Test this morning.

Yep, you guessed it!

I failed.

In fact, I failed it when I was pregnant with R.J. too.

The bad news is that when you fail this initial 1 hour test, they usually have you come back and do either a 3 hour or 5 hour test where they draw your blood at various timed intervals.

Trust me, by the time you are through with that series, your arm feels like you've been an intravenous drug user.

The good news is that my doctor (God love him) said that even though I failed, he is not making me go through the additional testing this time around with this baby.

His rationale?

He said that since I am already taking the oral anti-diabetic drug called
Metformin, which was originally prescribed for me while dealing with my secondary infertility issues (evidently studies have shown that Metformin combined with the fertility drug Clomid improved chances of pregnancy in women with elevated insulin levels), he felt that I am being medically monitored closely enough without having to endure the prolonged testing.

So, yes, I am a dunce, but I guess I'm also a teacher's doctor's pet too...LOL!

Nevertheless, I suppose that cutting out those McDonald's breakfast burritos is probably wise, don'tcha think?!

No comments: